Lime Based BBQ Sauce Recipes!
Step aside “Lemons”, it’s time to let the LIMES take the spotlight! Or should I have said the limelight! Personally I think Lime based BBQ Sauces are even better than Lemon based. Overall, I’m a big fan of the smoother flavor limes can give any recipe over that of lemons. Therefore, this section is dedicated to “Everything Lime” so you can try any number of Lime based BBQ Sauce Recipes to tingle your taste buds.
This Sesame-Lime Marinade Recipe is a great tangy sauce and is delicious with chicken or beef kabobs. It keeps the meat moist and flavors the vegetables. This recipe is a marinade vs. a typical BBQ sauce so I labeled it as a marinade.
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Combine lime peel, juice, oils and salt. Pour over chicken or beef and marinate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Prepare meat for grill, reserving marinade. Combine ¼ cup marinade, honey and sesame seeds. Baste meat while cooking and again before serving.
This recipe for a Lime barbecue sauce is part marinade and part sauce.
This particular version of the recipe didn’t include grilling the chicken but I bet its just as good if not better on the grill!
- 1 ts Butter
- ¼ cup Carrots – shredded
- 1 cup Celery – ¼ inch dice
- 1 Med onion, ¼” dice
- 1 Med red bell pepper ¼” dic
- 1 Clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tbs Soy sauce
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tbs White vinegar
- 1 cup Catsup
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 3 tbs Brown sugar – packed
- ½ ts Salt
- ¼ cup Fresh lime juice
- 3 Chicken breasts, halved & deboned
- Sweat the carrots in butter 5 minutes; then add the celery, onion, red pepper and garlic;
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix soy sauce, chicken stock and vinegar; whisk in catsup, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and salt; heat to simmer, dissolving sugar, and cook 10 minutes;
- Add vegetables and heat through remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Sear chicken on both sides and place in shallow pan; pour marinade over; let marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally and basting.
- Pour off marinade into saucepan; heat to boiling; grill chicken, basting until done; reduce sauce to half volume; serve over chicken.
If you love the flavor of Lime and Mint then this Lime-Mint BBQ Sauce Recipe will freshen up your next day of grilling! If you are really big into the mint, here’s a great recipe for a mint flavored margarita to go with this dish as a drink. It’s a great combination for a hot summer day while grilling on the deck. The mint adds a nice freshness to the sauce as well as to margaritas. This recipe is not as much of a traditional barbecue sauce as it is a grilling or marinade sauce but I couldn’t resist adding it as Limes are my favorite of the citrus fruits to use in cooking.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1½ cup brewed mint tea
- 1 tablespoon prepared brown mustard
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for a couple of minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook the mixture until it reduces by about half, approximately 40 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve the sauce warm or chilled. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.