Hot barbecue sauces are great if you enjoy “kickin it up a notch” as Emeril Lagasse would say. Now Jalapeno is by far NOT the hottest pepper out there. In fact, it’s one of the milder hot peppers available. So if you are ready for really hot barbecue sauce you might want to try some of the Habanero barbecue sauce recipes. If not, and you are just venturing into the land of HOT, then this is a great place to start.
If you haven’t made hot sauces before and you don’t know how much heat you can take, you might want to try one of the recipes with the least amount of peppers or just cut down the amount of hot peppers in any of the recipes and ease into it! Hot dishes are definitely an acquired taste. Not many people come out of the womb ready to eat the hottest food around! So, be careful, be adventurous and definitely give some of these hot and spicy barbecue sauces a try and see how you like them!
If you like Hot Chilies then you’ll love this Hot Chile pepper barbecue sauce recipe. There’s plenty of ways to make any sauce hot, including BBQ sauce. This recipe uses red chilies to crank up the heat.
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 dried red chili peppers
- 4 dried pequin chili peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Place dried chilies in hot water for 15 minutes to soften.
- Pour water and chilies into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Pour in blended chilies and add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For a smoother sauce, return cooled sauce to blender and blend until smooth.
Adding as much Chili powder as you can stand makes this Honey BBQ Sauce Recipe a spicy one! For those of you that like a Honey Mustard flavor, you can also add the Dijon mustard as well and make this a Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce as well.
In putting together a nice variety of recipes for Honey BBQ Sauces, I ran into this one that you can spice up with chili powder and flavor it up as much as you like. If you really want a HOT BBQ sauce, then you’ll have to try out some of the Jalapeno or Habanero BBQ Sauce Recipes I’ve included as well. So, if this isn’t spicy enough, keep poking around and I’m sure you’ll find a recipe hot enough to satisfy your spicy side!
- ¾ cup honey (a little more if you like it real sweet)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, put through a press
- 2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard (optional-if you like a Honey-Mustard flavor)
- Chilli powder (optional – As much as you can stand if you like it SPICY!)
- Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes