This section is dedicated to some of the favorite citrus based barbecue sauce recipes around. Orange based BBQ sauces are not unfamiliar but some of the Lemon and especially Lime based sauce recipes maybe something you have not tried before.
Most of the time these sauces are best on chicken and fish, and sometimes pork. We’ve searched the planet over for some very unique recipes for you to try so enjoy!
Orange BBQ Sauce Recipes
Lemon BBQ Sauce Recipes
Lime BBQ Sauce Recipes
Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipes
This Sesame-Lime Marinade Recipe is a great tangy sauce and is delicious with chicken or beef kabobs. It keeps the meat moist and flavors the vegetables. This recipe is a marinade vs. a typical BBQ sauce so I labeled it as a marinade.
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Combine lime peel, juice, oils and salt. Pour over chicken or beef and marinate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Prepare meat for grill, reserving marinade. Combine ¼ cup marinade, honey and sesame seeds. Baste meat while cooking and again before serving.
This recipe for a Lime barbecue sauce is part marinade and part sauce.
This particular version of the recipe didn’t include grilling the chicken but I bet its just as good if not better on the grill!
- 1 ts Butter
- ¼ cup Carrots – shredded
- 1 cup Celery – ¼ inch dice
- 1 Med onion, ¼” dice
- 1 Med red bell pepper ¼” dic
- 1 Clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tbs Soy sauce
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tbs White vinegar
- 1 cup Catsup
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 3 tbs Brown sugar – packed
- ½ ts Salt
- ¼ cup Fresh lime juice
- 3 Chicken breasts, halved & deboned
- Sweat the carrots in butter 5 minutes; then add the celery, onion, red pepper and garlic;
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix soy sauce, chicken stock and vinegar; whisk in catsup, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and salt; heat to simmer, dissolving sugar, and cook 10 minutes;
- Add vegetables and heat through remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Sear chicken on both sides and place in shallow pan; pour marinade over; let marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally and basting.
- Pour off marinade into saucepan; heat to boiling; grill chicken, basting until done; reduce sauce to half volume; serve over chicken.
If you love the flavor of Lime and Mint then this Lime-Mint BBQ Sauce Recipe will freshen up your next day of grilling! If you are really big into the mint, here’s a great recipe for a mint flavored margarita to go with this dish as a drink. It’s a great combination for a hot summer day while grilling on the deck. The mint adds a nice freshness to the sauce as well as to margaritas. This recipe is not as much of a traditional barbecue sauce as it is a grilling or marinade sauce but I couldn’t resist adding it as Limes are my favorite of the citrus fruits to use in cooking.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1½ cup brewed mint tea
- 1 tablespoon prepared brown mustard
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for a couple of minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook the mixture until it reduces by about half, approximately 40 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve the sauce warm or chilled. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.
Lime Based BBQ Sauce Recipes!
Step aside “Lemons”, it’s time to let the LIMES take the spotlight! Or should I have said the limelight! Personally I think Lime based BBQ Sauces are even better than Lemon based. Overall, I’m a big fan of the smoother flavor limes can give any recipe over that of lemons. Therefore, this section is dedicated to “Everything Lime” so you can try any number of Lime based BBQ Sauce Recipes to tingle your taste buds.
This is one of my favorite lemon barbecue sauce recipes because it’s sweet. The brown sugar and molasses adds that nice sweet taste to make it a sweeter BBQ sauce. I’m very partial to sweeter tasting BBQ Sauces and the combination of the sweet and sour lemon flavors make this recipe one of my favorites.
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over moderate heat until thickened, about 4 minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate
This Lemon based barbecue sauce includes that hot sauce, Tabasco! As you can see, very little Tabasco sauce was used. If you like yours really hot, don’t hesitate to add as much as you like.
- ½ cup Margarine
- 3 teaspoons Flour
- ⅓ cup Water
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Melt margarine in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually add water , lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook over moderate heat stirring constantly until slightly thickened. When cool homogenize in the blender.
- Makes about 1 cup. Use on grilled chicken or fish.
- NOTES: Add more Tabasco sauce if you prefer. Can be frozen. Just stir well when defrosted.
This recipe takes into account the popular Lemon-Pepper flavoring. There’s plenty of other spices as well to give it a very robust taste. Since this recipe does include tomato sauce, it is a true BBQ sauce as several of the other sauces listed would be considered more of a lemon based marinade vs. a true barbecue sauce. As usual, this is great for chicken. Most lemon based sauces are.
- 1½ teaspoon Canola oil
- ¼ cup Chopped onion
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Crushed dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Coarse-grind black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground allspice
- 1 Lemon, Grated zest of
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cider vinegar
- Heat oil in small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, basil, dry mustard, paprika, black and cayenne peppers, allspice, lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar. Bring to simmer over low heat and cook, covered, 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Makes 1 cup, enough for 8 chicken breasts or legs with thighs.
This Lemon Herb BBQ Sauce Recipe includes some nice herbs you don’t see often in any barbecue sauce. Thyme and Marjoram add a wonderful herby flavor. This recipe does depart some from the typical BBQ sauces but if you are looking for great lemon based sauces to barbecue and marinade with, I didn’t want to leave this one out.
Goes Great with Chicken!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the oil, lemon juice, onion, salt, thyme, marjoram, and garlic until thick and smooth.
- Coat the grill grate with aluminum foil. Poke holes in the foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange chicken on grate, and cook 15 minutes, turning once and brushing constantly with the sauce, until juices run clear
Nothing but Lemon based BBQ Sauces!
This section is dedicated to every possible Lemon based barbecue sauce recipe possible.
From simple to complex, from mild to hot & spicy! If you like lemon style BBQ sauces, then this is YOUR section!
Looking for something completely different in a citrus based barbecue sauce? Well, we have something for you. Pineapple based BBQ Sauce Recipes of all kinds.
Pineapple really gives you a sweet taste but distinctly different from your basic fruit based sauces. If you like chunks of pineapple like I do, then feel free to add pineapple pieces(smaller is better) to these recipes to increase the real pineapple flavor in your version of these favorite Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipes.