Nothing but Lemon based BBQ Sauces!
This section is dedicated to every possible Lemon based barbecue sauce recipe possible.
From simple to complex, from mild to hot & spicy! If you like lemon style BBQ sauces, then this is YOUR section!
This is one of my favorite lemon barbecue sauce recipes because it’s sweet. The brown sugar and molasses adds that nice sweet taste to make it a sweeter BBQ sauce. I’m very partial to sweeter tasting BBQ Sauces and the combination of the sweet and sour lemon flavors make this recipe one of my favorites.
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over moderate heat until thickened, about 4 minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate
This Lemon based barbecue sauce includes that hot sauce, Tabasco! As you can see, very little Tabasco sauce was used. If you like yours really hot, don’t hesitate to add as much as you like.
- ½ cup Margarine
- 3 teaspoons Flour
- ⅓ cup Water
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Melt margarine in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually add water , lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook over moderate heat stirring constantly until slightly thickened. When cool homogenize in the blender.
- Makes about 1 cup. Use on grilled chicken or fish.
- NOTES: Add more Tabasco sauce if you prefer. Can be frozen. Just stir well when defrosted.
This recipe takes into account the popular Lemon-Pepper flavoring. There’s plenty of other spices as well to give it a very robust taste. Since this recipe does include tomato sauce, it is a true BBQ sauce as several of the other sauces listed would be considered more of a lemon based marinade vs. a true barbecue sauce. As usual, this is great for chicken. Most lemon based sauces are.
- 1½ teaspoon Canola oil
- ¼ cup Chopped onion
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Crushed dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Coarse-grind black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground allspice
- 1 Lemon, Grated zest of
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cider vinegar
- Heat oil in small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, basil, dry mustard, paprika, black and cayenne peppers, allspice, lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar. Bring to simmer over low heat and cook, covered, 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Makes 1 cup, enough for 8 chicken breasts or legs with thighs.
This Lemon Herb BBQ Sauce Recipe includes some nice herbs you don’t see often in any barbecue sauce. Thyme and Marjoram add a wonderful herby flavor. This recipe does depart some from the typical BBQ sauces but if you are looking for great lemon based sauces to barbecue and marinade with, I didn’t want to leave this one out.
Goes Great with Chicken!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the oil, lemon juice, onion, salt, thyme, marjoram, and garlic until thick and smooth.
- Coat the grill grate with aluminum foil. Poke holes in the foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange chicken on grate, and cook 15 minutes, turning once and brushing constantly with the sauce, until juices run clear